Thursday, May 27, 2021

Let Me See Again

Then Jesus spoke, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ ‘Rabbuni,’ the blind man said to him ‘Master, let me see again.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Go; your faith has saved you.’ And immediately his sight returned and he followed him along the road.
Mk.10:51,52

The blind beggar Bartimaeus hears Jesus walking by and shouts out for pity. Despite being told to quiet down, his faith and persistence results in Jesus restoring his sight.

Two things stand out for me here. First, despite the obvious blindness of the beggar, Jesus asks him what he wants. It's good to have a clear picture of what I need, of what is broken in my life. Secondly, the beggar's faith moved Jesus hand. The only demonstration of that faith was his unshakable belief that Jesus was the one who could heal him. 

A third thing strikes me also. Jesus said the beggar was now saved, not healed of his blindness. It's almost as if the healing was a by-product of the central miracle of the beggar's salvation.

The man, now with sight restored, immediately did the only logical thing. He followed Jesus.

Jesus, master, heal me of my afflictions so that I may more joyfully follow you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.

No comments: