Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Cheerful Giving

Add a smiling face to all your gifts, and be cheerful as you dedicate your tithes. Give to the Most High as he has given to you, generously as your means can afford; for the Lord is a good rewarder.
Eccl.35:9-11

The Wisdom Book of Ecclesiasticus defines the gift acceptable to God, the gift given generously and with a smiling face.

I've heard it said there should be loud outbreaking of laughter as the collection plate is handed around at church. Jesus himself said God loves a cheerful giver. I'm not always that cheerful. A twenty dollar note looks large on a collection plate but small at McDonalds. There's a resistance in me to give at all, let alone cheerfully.

Yet there it stands. I'm meant to give and give generously and cheerfully. Why? Firstly, God promises to give back seven times over. He won't be outdone in generosity. But maybe more importantly, it changes my attitude from tight fisted selfishness to open handed generosity. Who presents the more authentic face of Jesus? Cheerful giving is a decision that becomes a habit, starting today.

Jesus, you gave and gave cheerfully. Help me open my grasping hand and trust in you as I do so, cheerfully.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.
 


No comments: