Monday, May 24, 2021

Joy that is Complete

Then the Lord God asked the woman, ‘What is this you have done?’ The woman replied, ‘The serpent tempted me and I ate.’
Gen.3:13

Adam and Eve are being questioned by God after having eaten the forbidden fruit. They make no attempt to fudge the facts. Eve's reply to God is simple as it is sad. ‘The serpent tempted me and I ate.’

Isn't this the way of all sin. I was tempted and I ate. The temptation comes first and no one is exempt. What I do with the temptation is what matters. The temptation usually starts with "Did God really say...?" Then I let the forbidden fruit's allure take over. 

I successfully combat temptation when I recognise and name it for what it is. Speaking it out seems to expose the temptation to the light. Darkness cannot exist where there is light. I then resist and rebuke the devil and as scripture promises, he flees from me. The joy the temptation promises always turns to ashes. Real joy, the joy Jesus offers, lasts forever. 

Today is a good day to again "name and shame" temptations that will come my way and embrace the joy of Jesus.

Thank you Jesus for showing us in your humanity that temptation can be resisted. Thank you for offering joy that is complete. I receive your true joy again today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.


No comments: