Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Extraordinary in the Ordinary

This is the carpenter, surely, the son of Mary, the brother of James and Joset and Jude and Simon? His sisters, too, are they not here with us?’ And they would not accept him.
Mk.6:3

Jesus is rejected in his hometown where he is seen simply as a carpenter's son. 

The familiar can blind us to the extraordinary. Jesus' own family and home community couldn't get past him being the son of Joseph the carpenter. As a consequence they missed God. Their lack of faith actually stopped Jesus from working miracles there. 

The familiar can blind me from God in the people, family and places I reside day to day. God turns up in the most unlikely places. He turned up in me, of all people! I need to be open to God being in the mundane that surrounds me. The ordinary can be harbouring the extraordinary.

Lord Jesus, I get too familiar with you. Help increase my faith and see you at work in the ordinary so you may work miracles.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: