Monday, February 13, 2023

A Sign

The Pharisees came up and started a discussion with Jesus; they demanded of him a sign from heaven, to test him. And with a sigh that came straight from the heart he said, ‘Why does this generation demand a sign? I tell you solemnly, no sign shall be given to this generation.’ 
Mk.8:11,12

Out of their disbelief, the Pharisees demand a sign from Jesus. Jesus leaves them with their unbelief.

Countless miracles had already been instigated by Jesus but the Pharisees demanded more. Would one more sign have been enough to change their hearts? Probably not. The signs were not what Jesus came for. They are simply signposts pointing to his real message which is to turn from sin and come back home to God. 

Faith is a belief in things unseen. Jesus said blessed are those who have not seen yet believe. That's me. I'm grateful for the healings, blessings and miracles (including the very beating of my heart at the moment) that I have witnessed, but my faith doesn't rely on them. 

Thank you Jesus for the gift of faith you have given me. Help me be a sign so others may believe. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.


No comments: