Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Less is More

Anyone who welcomes one of these little children in my name, welcomes me; and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.
Mk. 9:37

The disciples have been found out by Jesus for arguing amongst themselves as to who is the greatest. Being the great teacher that he is, Jesus embraces a little child, demonstrating that they are not only to welcome the weak and powerless but to become weak and powerless.

Some things are worth arguing over. Arguing over who is the greatest is not one of those things, not for a Christian. I find it hard to be humble and the world mocks me when I try. And yet, there is Jesus, welcoming children, personifying power in humility. He appears safe to people and so is attractive to them. This is go-against-the-flow stuff. Jesus is saying less is more. Perhaps a virtue I can practice this Lent.

Jesus, my fleshly self screams more is more. Help me take the other path, the path of humility.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: