Friday, February 24, 2023

Now is the Time

But the time will come for the bridegroom to be taken away from them, and then they will fast.
Mt.9:15

Jesus answers the criticism about his disciples not fasting. They will, in time.

Lent, the time of prayer, almsgiving and fasting. As the joke says, "Now... the prayer and almsgiving I don't mind...." Fasting corals the core of my fleshly desires and so my flesh rebels. But Mother Church encourages me to do it to draw me closer to God. Fasting makes me connect with those less fortunate than me. It makes me appreciate what God has given to me, appreciate having the choice. 

Jesus, I don't recall scripture anywhere depicting you fasting, yet you talked about it often. Now is the time for me to fast. Help me in my weakness.
Saint Catherine of Siena, please pray for me.



No comments: