Friday, February 10, 2023

From Shame to Joy

Then the eyes of both of them were opened and they realised that they were naked. So they sewed fig-leaves together to make themselves loin-cloths. The man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden.
Gn.3:7,8

Adam and Eve have succumbed to the promise of Satan that they will be like Gods when they eat of the forbidden fruit.  The first fruit of knowledge was shame, followed by fear and trying to hide from God.

Where there are secrets, there is shame. This is the cycle of sin. I do something in secret that I know is contrary to God, shame takes hold of me and I try to hide from God. Trying to hide from God is like a child squeezing his eyes shut and shouting, "You can't see me!"

The antidote moves in the opposite direction. Bring the sin out into the light of God. Immediately it loses its power. Secrets and shame evaporate, being replaced by intimacy and rejoicing. Thank God for the Confessional.

Jesus, thank you for your great mercy and love that blows away my shame and fills me with joy.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: