Thursday, February 16, 2023

Who Do I Say He Is?

‘Who do people say I am?’ And they told him. ‘John the Baptist,’ they said ‘others Elijah; others again, one of the prophets.’ ‘But you,’ he asked ‘who do you say I am?’ Peter spoke up and said to him, ‘You are the Christ.’ 
Mk.8:27-29

Jesus questions his disciples, first about what people are saying about him. Then he makes it personal, causing the disciples to search their own hearts. Impetuous Peter gets it right for once calling Jesus the Christ, the anointed Messiah. 

I always eventually circle back to this question from Jesus. Who do I say he is? It's important. My answer can change depending on what is happening in my life, on what I had for dinner last night and whether it agrees with me even. The only correct answer never changes and Peter nailed it. He is the Christ. 

Jesus, you are the Christ, the one who leads me back home to God. I place my trust in you.
Saint Peter, please pray for me.


No comments: