Saturday, February 4, 2023

Secret Place and Market Place

Then he said to them, ‘You must come away to some lonely place all by yourselves and rest for a while’; for there were so many coming and going that the apostles had no time even to eat. 
Mk.6:31

The apostles have just returned from their first mission trip. Jesus saw they were exhausted and called them to rest.

William Barclay a biblical scholar, writer and broadcaster, put it well: ‘The rhythm of the Christian life is the alternate meeting with God in the secret place and serving people in the market place’

Action without prayer is a house built on sand and bound to fall. Prayer without action is self-serving and stale.  My daily prayer time comes to fruition only when I leave and act on it. Secret place and market place. I need to be moving from one to the other and then back again.

Thank you Jesus for meeting me in the quiet place. Direct me by your Spirit now into the marketplace. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: