Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Change of Heart

For it is from within, from men’s hearts, that evil intentions emerge: fornication, theft, murder, adultery, avarice, malice, deceit, indecency, envy, slander, pride, folly. All these evil things come from within and make a man unclean.
Mk.7:21-23

Jesus emphasises that, contrary to the teaching of the Pharisees, it's not what goes into a man that makes him unclean. It's what comes out of our core self, our heart, that defiles us. 

I've been guilty of every one of the "rotten heart" sins listed by Jesus, including murder if I consider what my backstabbing judgements do to a person's character. How do I receive heart surgery? Well, the confessional is a good place to start. Restitution where possible continues the healing. Inviting Jesus into my heart completes the process.

The children's song I sing with my grandchildren is a great invocation. 

Into my heart
Into my heart
Come into my heart Lord Jesus.
come in today
come in to stay
Come into my heart Lord Jesus.

Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.



No comments: