Thursday, February 23, 2023

Die to Live

If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross every day and follow me. For anyone who wants to save his life will lose it; but anyone who loses his life for my sake, that man will save it.
Lk.9:23,24

Jesus is revealing what is about to happen to himself to his close followers, his passion, his death, his resurrection. He then invites anyone and everyone to follow him in the same death and resurrection process. 

On the face of it, it's not an attractive proposition. Luke's audience knew all about the cross. It wasn't just a heavy burden. It was a cruel instrument of tortuous death. Jesus acknowledges that life can be cruel and tortuous. But the pain of this life is never the end of our story, it's simply the title page. My real life-story starts after the resurrection, life with God in unimaginable glory. 

So, yes... I choose to follow Jesus, to lose my life for his sake. He has promised me he will save me. 

Jesus, life has its pain, following you can be painful. I claim your promise that following you through the pain and death leads to life and life to the fullest. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: