Friday, November 18, 2022

The Lord's House

Jesus went into the Temple and began driving out those who were selling. ‘According to scripture,’ he said ‘my house will be a house of prayer. But you have turned it into a robbers’ den.’
Lk.19:45,46

Jesus drives out the mercenaries and traders from the temple, declaring what the temple is intended to be... a house of prayer.

Jesus always used the temple to teach and pray, modeling what our places of worship, our churches are to be. The word ‘church’ by which we designate the place of divine worship, is derived from the Greek kuriakon (‘the Lord's house’), implying that it is God's house in the first place.

An extrapolation can be made here as well. My body is a temple, a temple of the Holy Spirit, a "Lord's House". How I use my body needs to reflect that.

Jesus, I dedicate my body to you. Holy Spirit, fill my body so it may become a house of the Lord.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: