Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Merely a Servant

Must he be grateful to the servant for doing what he was told? So with you: when you have done all you have been told to do, say, “We are merely servants: we have done no more than our duty.
Lk.17:9,10

Jesus instructs on the attitude of a disciple. It is to be the attitude of a faithful servant.

Servanthood is demeaned by the world as an inferior position. Jesus lifts servanthood up as the pinnacle of Christian life. It places the other ahead of oneself in humility, always the attitude of a Christian. When there is less of me and I'm focussed more on the other, somehow there is more of Jesus within me. 

Jesus, you know it is more natural for me to want to be served than to serve. Give me a servant's heart that is joyful in serving others. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: