Friday, November 25, 2022

The Bride

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; the first heaven and the first earth had disappeared now, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the holy city, and the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, as beautiful as a bride all dressed for her husband.
Ap.21:1,2

John's final vision starts with all things made new, both heaven and earth. The new Jerusalem is as beautiful as a bride.

In attempting to describe the indescribable, John compares the new heavenly city to a bride dressed for her husband. I grasp what John is trying to convey here as I recall gasping at the sight of my darling bride being led down the aisle by her father. She looked like a Greek goddess. I suddenly felt shy before such beauty. 

The new Jerusalem is my real home that I yearn to reach. No more tears. No more pain. Indescribable beauty and joy. Meeting my Lord face to face. This puts everything of my life in perspective, the highs and lows, the good the bad, the beautiful the ugly. All swept away and replaced with the perfect new.

Maranatha! Come Lord Jesus.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: