Wednesday, April 7, 2021

What Things?

Cleopas, answered him, ‘You must be the only person staying in Jerusalem who does not know the things that have been happening there these last few days.’ ‘What things?’ he asked.

Two disciples unknowingly encounter the risen Jesus on the the road to Emmaus. Jesus invites them to share their anguish and turmoil by asking the simplest of questions, "What things?"

Jesus would be the perfect Alpha Course small group leader. The task of the small group leader is to ask short catalyst questions to get the guests opening up and sharing amongst themselves. Responding to Jesus' "What things?" the two pour out their long, sad story. Jesus is then able to speak into their lives and help them see what is really happening.

I find being silent and giving space to others hard. I mean, I have so much pearls-of-wisdom to pour out, right? I need allow less of me more of them, like Jesus.

Jesus, help me be an empathetic listener like you so people will "press me to stay" .
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.



No comments: