Saturday, April 24, 2021

Fickle or Committed?

Then Jesus said to the Twelve, ‘What about you, do you want to go away too?’ Simon Peter answered, ‘Lord, who shall we go to? You have the message of eternal life, and we believe; we know that you are the Holy One of God.’
Jn.6:67,68

Jesus has just finished insisting all must eat his flesh and drink his blood for eternal life. Many disciples called this teaching too hard and left him. Jesus asks the Twelve if they want to follow. Peter answers, "To whom else would we go? You alone have the words of eternal life."

It seems Jesus is deliberately sorting the wheat from the chaff among his followers. The crowd that has been clamoring for more bread, more signs, is now thinning. The refined group is going to be those who form the fledging Church. 

Popularity is fickle. It comes and it goes. Loosing followers is not always a bad thing. The remaining team are the committed who can be counted on. Am I a fickle follower or a committed companion to Jesus? To be honest, I swing between the two. Today I choose commitment. 

Jesus, there are days when a miracle would be nice. Just a small one to bolster my faith. But Lord, you and I know that would become insatiable in me. Lord, to whom else can I turn? You alone have the words of everlasting life.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.



No comments: