Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Law is Love

Do not forget the things your eyes have seen, nor let them slip from your heart all the days of your life; rather, tell them to your children and to your children’s children.
Dt.4:9

Moses has given the Law to the Israelites as they are about to enter the promised land. It is the Law that sets the people apart, that defines them as the Chosen People for all time.

Today's Gospel has Jesus saying he has not come to put an end to the Law but to complete it. The Law stays until it has achieved its purpose of bringing all mankind back to God. This is yet to happen so the Law remains.

What am I to do with the Law? Keep them in my heart and tell them to my children and children's children. Kate and I realise more and more the role we are to play in our grandchildren's lives, to love them and tell them they are loved by God. This, says Jesus, is the meaning of the Law and the Prophets.

Jesus, what a precious gift we have been given in our children and our children's children. Help me be an authentic witness to the perfection of the Law by loving them. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: