Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Always Always Always Forgive

I cancelled all that debt of yours when you appealed to me. Were you not bound, then, to have pity on your fellow servant just as I had pity on you?
Mt.18:32,33

Jesus tells the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant to answer Peter's question on how often he should forgive. The parable's lesson say's we are all bound to be merciful as we are shown mercy.

"Are you not bound?" is the question before me today. The answer of course is yes, it's just that I forget that sometimes.

It is said that the thing that sets apart Christianity from all other religions is not the doctrine of love or even the resurrection. It's grace. We Christians, if we are worthy of our name, are bound to be dispensers of outrageous grace. We are to give up our rights and offer mercy. Why? Then mercy shall be shown to me.

This Lent the second verse of the Hail Mary has been resonating with me. "Pray for us sinners". I am along side every other sinner pleading for mercy. I'm in need of outrageous grace as much as anyone. Remembering this, I find it easier to forgive. I am bound to forgive.

Jesus, you gave up your rights and forgave those who persecuted you, who killed you. Help me be a natural dispenser of pity and mercy. Let grace be my natural response.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: