Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Clay to Gold

Peter said to him, ‘Why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.’ ‘Lay down your life for me?’ answered Jesus. ‘I tell you most solemnly, before the cock crows you will have disowned me three times.’
Jn.13:37,38

The last supper is completed, Jesus has washed the disciple's feet, he has given the Great Commandment to love one another. Peter is swept up in the emotion of the events and declares his undying loyalty. Jesus gives Peter a reality check. Yes you will die for me but not before denying me. 

That this sorry event is recorded so simply and unemotively in the Gospel of Saint John gives credence to all that the gospels say about Jesus' passion and about Saint Peter. Peter's transformation from a quaking denier to a courageous proclaimer is recorded in detail. 

Saint Peter gives me hope. I am a vacillator like him... proclaimer, denier, proclaimer, denier... The good news is in Jesus' reaction to Peter's weaknesses. He identifies Peter's weaknesses then loves him anyway. Jesus identifies my weaknesses then loves me anyway. Like Peter, my clay can then be transformed into gold.

Jesus, you died for me not because I'm holy but because I'm broken and desperate. Such love transforms me and gives me hope. Thank you Lord. 
Saint Peter, please pray for me.

 

No comments: