Saturday, March 20, 2021

Engage

‘But surely the Law does not allow us to pass judgement on a man without giving him a hearing and discovering what he is about?’ To this they answered, ‘Are you a Galilean too?
Jn.7:51,52

Nicodemus attempts to have some form of justice shown to Jesus but the other Pharisees already have Jesus, labelled, judged and condemned.

The first step in prematurely judging is to label. Jesus is labelled a Galilean, meaning a commoner who could never be a prophet yet alone the Messiah. I am prone to labelling those with whom I don't agree. This pushes them away from me as I attempt to place myself in a higher position. 

In a sense labelling dehumanises. Once people are dehumanised they can be disposed of, which is what eventually happened to Jesus. 

The antidote? Engage and Discover what they are about. Like Nicodemus I might just learn something, something life-changing.

Lord Jesus, you engage. Help me engage with those I'm tempted to judge today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: