Saturday, March 13, 2021

Humilty

The tax collector stood some distance away, not daring even to raise his eyes to heaven; but he beat his breast and said, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner.”
Lk.11:13

Jesus tells the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. It is the humility of the Tax Collector that sets him right with God. The pride of the Pharisee distances him from God.

The Pharisee says his prayer "to himself". The Tax Collector, though not even raising his eyes to heaven, speaks directly into God's heart. A humble heart seems to spontaneously open God's heart. 

Where is my heart placed? Sometimes my prayer is all about me and I say it to myself. I do struggle with pride. Today a can be mindful of humility.

God, be merciful to me, a sinner.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.


No comments: