Thursday, March 11, 2021

Heart Checkup

Gospel Acclamation     Joel 2:12-13 
Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, king of endless glory! 
With all your heart turn to me, for I am tender and compassionate. 
Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, king of endless glory!


Today's Gospel Acclamation is taken from the book of Joel where God is calling for conversation of the heart.

There's a lot of heart rending stuff in today's readings. Jeremiah refers to evil hearts. The Psalm entreats us not to harden our hearts and the Acclamation calls us to turn with all our hearts. In this sense it's the very core of my being that is being addressed, the essential me. 

I guess the challenge I'm hearing is, where is my heart today? Sometimes it's on fire for the Lord. Other times it's blazing with the passion of full blown sin. Where is it this morning?

I read the rest of the Acclamation where God describes what he is calling me back to. Tenderness and compassion, in other words, God's heart on fire with love for me. 

Jesus, your scared heart is burning with love for me. I don't deserve it, I don't understand it but I accept it with a grateful heart. Thank you Lord for loving me.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: