Thursday, April 11, 2019

Timing

‘I tell you most solemnly, before Abraham ever was, I Am.’ At this they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple.    Jn.8:58,59
The Jews interrogate Jesus, not to know him but to judge him. Jesus speaks plainly in a language they understand. He gives himself the name of God, "I Am". Formal judgement is pushed aside as they lift stones to kill Jesus on the spot, but Jesus slips away. His time has not yet come.

Jesus wasn't avoiding his death. He was delaying it. He still had people to heal, Lazarus to raise from the dead, the Mass to institute at the Last Supper, his passion to witness before Peter and the others and his cross to climb onto for the payment of my sins. It was a matter of timing.

We're approaching Holy Week, a time to focus on what Jesus considered important enough to delay his death so he could achieve all that happened in those last hours. And all that he did in those last hours he did for me. There's something to contemplate....

Jesus, your timing is always perfect. My timing is haphazard. You kept your eye on the big picture. I get obsessed with the minutiae of now.  Help me gain your view on what is important and when it is right.




No comments: