Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Called by Name

‘Sir, if you have taken him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will go and remove him.’ Jesus said, ‘Mary!’ She knew him then and said to him in Hebrew, ‘Rabbuni!’ – which means Master.    Jn.20:15-16
Mary of Magdala has arrived at Jesus' tomb to find the stone rolled away and the tomb empty. She is distraught and doesn't recognise the risen Jesus until he calls her name. She then becomes the very first person to receive and tell the Good News... Jesus is alive!

Mary of Magdala is known as the apostle to the apostles. She was the first to tell them that Jesus had risen. Peter and John run to the tomb and the rest is history. Mary is mentioned twelve times in the gospels, more than most of the other apostles. She was one of the women who financially supported Jesus' ministry. She witnessed Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection.

The woman from whom Jesus drove seven demons was at the epicenter of early Christian life yet she didn't recognise Jesus until he called her by name. It was her personal relationship with Jesus that finally made her recognise him.

That's how Jesus works with people. That's how Jesus works with me, on a first name basis. My faith is in a personal savior who gives me personal relief. And he is alive and with me today. Alleluia!

Thank you Jesus for calling me by name. I am yours and you are mine.
Saint Mary Magdala, please pray for me.




No comments: