Thursday, March 9, 2023

Poverty at My Gate

Jesus said to the Pharisees: ‘There was a rich man who used to dress in purple and fine linen and feast magnificently every day. And at his gate there lay a poor man called Lazarus, covered with sores, who longed to fill himself with the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. 
Lk.16:19-21

Jesus tells the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. Lazarus in his poverty lies ignored right at the rich man's door. 

There are a number of salient points in this parable. The death of each man was not the end of his story, just the beginning. The rich man's fault was not his wealth, it was his withheld charity. The injustice of poverty was not far away from the rich man. It was right at his gate. 

In addressing this story to the Pharisees, Jesus was building on his condemnation of their hypocrisy. They spoke much on justice but acted little in charity. This story is addressed to the Pharisee in me and I squirm. 

Lord, open my eyes to the poverty at my door. Help me be generous in my charity. 
Saint Barnabas, please pray for me.


No comments: