Saturday, March 4, 2023

Love My Enemies

But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; in this way you will be sons of your Father in heaven.
Mt.5:44,45

Jesus' Sermon on the Mount never gets tougher than here. Not only am I to forgive my enemies, I'm to pray for them, I am to love them.

I have people who have hurt my loved ones badly. In a sense, they are my enemies. I have to love them? This is difficult. Jesus acknowledges this by saying, do this and you will be perfect. Can I do it? Can I love my enemies? No. Not by myself. 

Christian faith is not about doing good, it is not even about being good; it is all about being loved! Once I realize that I am loved "no matter what", once I let that truth soak into my heart, then something new is birthed in me. In a sense I am born again. My inner self turns noble and right actions simply flow from me. Like, loving my enemies. 

Thank you Jesus for loving me. Help me to love others today, especially my enemies.
Saint Stephen, please pray for me.

No comments: