Friday, February 18, 2022

Works of Faith

You see now that it is by doing something good, and not only by believing, that a man is justified. A body dies when it is separated from the spirit, and in the same way faith is dead if it is separated from good deeds.
Jms.2:24,26

James writes that faith unaccompanied by resulting good works is a faith that is a sham and is quite dead. 

This is where the rubber hits the road. It is always tempting to appear busy with pios faith-actions without engaging in faith-works. James warns, like Abraham whose faith led him to build the pyre, lay his son on it and raise the dagger, I can only be justified by my faith motivated works. Saying I have faith is not enough. 

A common theme with the Saints of the Church is their work for the poor. This can be poor materially or poor in spirit. Both types of poverty are all around me, both in my family and outside it. Time to roll my sleeves up. 

Jesus, break my heart with the things that break yours. Show me my work today that my faith may shine.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: