Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Pull Down the Fence

This people honours me only with lip-service, while their hearts are far from me. The worship they offer me is worthless, the doctrines they teach are only human regulations.
Mk.7:6,7

The Pharisees complain that Jesus' disciples are breaking the Law by eating with unwashed hands. Jesus replies by exposing their hypocrisy in fixating on external regulations while their hearts are far from God. 

This is a common human failing. Church history is littered with occasions where people, having a genuine experience of the Holy Spirit, build a picket fence around themselves and start issuing membership tickets. Meanwhile the Holy Spirit steps over the picket fence and moves on.

Jesus is only interested in the state of my heart, not my observances. If the traditions of the Church are not softening my heart they are worse than useless, they are driving me far from Jesus. 

Jesus, you know my propensity to build picket fences and issue membership tickets. Help me recognise the movement of the Holy Spirit wherever he goes.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: