Thursday, February 3, 2022

Shut de Door, Keep out de Devil

So they set off to preach repentance; and they cast out many devils, and anointed many sick people with oil and cured them.
Mk.6:13

Jesus commissions the twelve apostles for their first mission trip. Topmost on their agenda was the casting out of devils.   

The first authority Jesus gave the apostles was authority over unclean spirits. It seemed that was the work to be done before they could preach the Good News. Clean out the demons then people were in a place to hear what they had to say. 

I don't hear of demons being cast out much today. Are there no demons now? Doubt it. When I look about I see their handiwork everywhere, especially in attacks on families. Perhaps it's time for me to up the spiritual warfare for my own little church, my family. As the negro spiritual song goes, "Shut de door, keep out de devil. Light de candle everything's alright"

Lord Jesus, in your name I claim authority over the unclean spirits who would attack my family. In your mighty name Lord Jesus I cast them out and then shut the door and light the candle.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: