Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Surprised by Truth

Jesus said, ‘You must not stop him: no one who works a miracle in my name is likely to speak evil of me. Anyone who is not against us is for us.’
Mk.9:39,40

The disciples have reported trying to stop an outsider from casting out demons in Jesus' name. Jesus rebukes them, saying any who do not oppose them is actually an advocate for the Kingdom.

There something in us that wants our way to be the only way. In me it's actually a sign of insecurity from a sneaking suspicion that others may have more truth than I give credit.  Jesus' response it generous. "If they're not against us they're for us." 

Within all faiths there are elements of truth that are actually for us. Once I accept this I have the opportunity to learn. Being open to truth found outside my own faith shows a security I have in my own faith. My mother-in-law told the story of a missionary, on reaching a remote pacific island, going to the chief and saying. "My brother, teach me all that you know." His mission was successful. 

Today is an opportunity for me for me to grow, wherever I find truth that is for us. 

Jesus, help me rid myself of the blindness of pride so I can see your truth in surprising places.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: