Thursday, February 10, 2022

There are no Strangers

And he said to her, ‘For saying this, you may go home happy: the devil has gone out of your daughter.’ So she went off to her home and found the child lying on the bed and the devil gone.
Mk.7:29,30

A pagan Syrophoenician woman has begged and even argued with Jesus to deliver her daughter from an evil spirit. Impressed by her faith, Jesus steps over his initial reluctance and instantly delivers her daughter. 

As a woman and a pagan this mother was a far from the fold as a person could be. Yet her love for her daughter moved to Jesus to fulfill her request.  Jesus clearly demonstrates he is for all people. The bridge is love and faith. 

I tend to compartmentalise people, those who are close and those who are far away. Jesus sees people as just that, people with souls that need saving. For him, there are no strangers.

Jesus, when I was far away, outside the fold, you came after me. Help me reach out to those I would judge are beyond salvation. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: