Thursday, July 15, 2021

Rest for My Soul

Come to me, all you who labour and are overburdened, and I will give you rest. Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.
Mt.11:28-30

Jesus has just said that God the Father is revealed in him. Now he invites all who are weary to come to him and find rest.

Rest for our souls. This has universal appeal. It's what everyone seeks. Here Jesus offers it. He describes rest, gentleness and humbleness as inherent characteristics of God. They are the light burden he gives in exchange for my weighty ones.

I carry the burden of a gentle and humble heart into my day. I'm promised in so doing I will find rest.

Thank you Jesus for your easy, light burden. I take up your offer and exchange it for my heavy burden.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.



 

No comments: