Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Radiant Face

The Lord is compassion and love, slow to anger and rich in mercy.
Ps.102:8

God inspires David to write Psalm 102 as a self portrait. The recurring theme is God's love and mercy.

What keeps many away from the Church is the misconception of God as a stern and accusing judge, impatient to punish. I don't believe in that God either. The opposite is true. My God is compassion and love, slow to anger and rich in mercy. 

Yet that distorted view of God exists and exists for a reason. Maybe because we, the churched, present that harsh, judgemental face to people peeking in the door. Maybe we secretly want punishment to rain down on others whom we judge live wrongly. We'd better duck if that's the case.

Today I will be an undistorted mirror of God's face, shining forth love and mercy. I'll throw in laughter for good measure. Nothing is so attractive.

Jesus, forgive me for the times I have obscured and not radiated your face of love and mercy to others. Today give me your face of love, mercy and joy.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.

 

No comments: