Thursday, July 22, 2021

Great Lover

‘Sir, if you have taken him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will go and remove him.’ Jesus said, ‘Mary!’ She knew him then and said to him in Hebrew, ‘Rabbuni!’ – which means Master.
Jn.20:15,16

Mary Magdalen is the first to find the empty tomb. After leading Peter and John there they leave while she stays, weeping. The risen Jesus appears but is unrecognised by her until he calls her name. 

Today is the Feast of Mary Magdalen. The Church celebrates the life of a great lover. Mary's love for Jesus cost her great anguish at his death and gave her greater joy at his resurrection. Love does that. It makes me vulnerable to pain and capable of joy. 

Jesus, lover of my soul. 
Jesus, I will never let you go.
You've taken me from the miry clay,
set my feet upon a rock
and now I know.
I love you
I need you
Though my world may fall 
I'll never let you go.
My savior, my closest friend,
I will worship you
until the very end.

Saint Mary Magdalen, please pray for us that we may be great lovers.

No comments: