Tuesday, July 20, 2021

The Power of a Name

Here are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven, he is my brother and sister and mother.
Mt.12:50

Jesus' mother and other family members try to reach Jesus because of their anxiety for him. Jesus responds by extending the definition of his family. All who are obedient to God the Father are Jesus' family.

In one place in scripture Jesus calls his followers friends. Here he deepens the intimacy by calling us family. As they say, you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family. Family are family, warts and all. 

Some of my family members have a few warts. Come to think of it, so do I. Jesus knew the broken, wounded mob he was extending his hand over and calling family were not perfect. Yet, he named them family nonetheless. And that calling raised the motley group to eventual sainthood. 

There is power in naming. Jesus did it all the time. I can be more intentional in naming my family members positively, so they can be raised to eventual sainthood.

Jesus, you call me brother. Help me call my family names that raise them up.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.





 

No comments: