Saturday, July 24, 2021

Wheat Among the Weeds

Let them both grow till the harvest; and at harvest time I shall say to the reapers: First collect the darnel and tie it in bundles to be burnt, then gather the wheat into my barn.
Mt.13:30

Jesus tells the parable of the weeds among the wheat. The servants want to weed out immediately, destroying some wheat in the process. The owner says no, the time of separation will be at the time of harvest.

Jesus is telling three things here. There is evil in the world. There will be a day of judgement. Until then, we are to be wheat among the weeds. 

Listening to the news, you'd think the weeds are all that are left. The wheat doesn't made the headlines. But I look around where I live and I see that good people abound, in my family, in my neighbourhood, in my parish and in my work. They are the wheat among the weeds. 

I am not to despair. I am to continue growing, deepening my roots, reaching further up to the sun, helping others to do the same. I am not to let the weeds choke me. I am to choke the weeds.

Jesus, you are the source of my peace, hope and joy. I thrust my roots deeper into you and reach further up and further in.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: