Friday, October 4, 2019

Rest

Jesus said, ‘Come to me, all you who labour and are overburdened, and I will give you rest.  
Mt.11:28

Jesus is telling how the Father is revealed through the Son when he adds this invitation. Come to me and you will find rest for your souls.

This is such a compelling invitation. In a period of history where life is meant to be the most easy, we are more exhausted than our forebears. People labour and are overburdened. Jesus says this is not meant to be our condition. In fact it is the product of slavery, slavery to the demands of the world.

What causes me to labour and be overburdened? Certainly not working for Jesus, for example running Alpha at the moment. That is so easy and life giving, not life taking. Worries can burden me. Worries about family, worries about finances, worries about what other people think.

That's a few things to place on Jesus' shoulders. Now to take on his yoke which is easy and light...

Jesus, thank you for taking my burdens. I release them all to you as you have invited me. 
Saint Francis, please pray for me.

No comments: