Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Fear and Love

He does not treat us according to our sins nor repay us according to our faults. For as the heavens are high above the earth so strong is his love for those who fear him.
Ps.102:10,11
The psalmist reveals the mighty mercy and love God has for those who fear him.

The heavens are measurelessly high above the earth yet this is how God describes his love for me despite my sins. What's the qualifier? Fearing God.

Fear has a negative connotation yet scripture constantly holds up the fear of God as a great virtue. The fear of God is the start of all wisdom. Hearing someone is God-fearing actually makes us trust that person more. If they fear God, they are more likely to keep their word and treat others with kindness. It's as though they have one eye on God while relating to people.

The fear of God is more than just holding God in awe and wonder. It's making him my constant reference point, his mercy and love the mark against which I measure how I relate to people. This is both difficult and easy. Difficult because the smoke screen of the world works to obscure my view of God. Easy because God is constantly leaning down to reveal himself to me. I just need to look for him.

Jesus, you are God-with-us. I want you clearly in sight today so I may fear you as I love others.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: