Monday, July 15, 2019

Lord at my Side

‘If the Lord had not been on our side,’ this is Israel’s song. ‘If the Lord had not been on our side when men rose up against us, then would they have swallowed us alive when their anger was kindled.Ps.124:1-3

The psalmist writes while recalling the Hebrew's escape from the yoke of slavery in Egypt. Even in the darkest of times the Lord was on their side.

The weather is cold and wet outside. The stark contrast with the European summer I have just left is palpable. I haven't had the advantage of the gradual acclimatisation of autumn. New Zealand winter is entrenched and oppressive.  It's easy to forget there is blue sky above the rain clouds, that spring always follows winter.

Today's psalm reminds me God is always at my side, in hard times and easy, in cold sleet and balmy sunshine. Always at my side. This keeps my head looking up, stops the oppressive here and now from obscuring my vision, clouding my purpose.

So, with the Lord at my side today the joy of the Lord continues to be my strength, in rain or sunshine, easy times or hard. Alleluia!

Thank you Jesus for your faithful friendship, for your constant presence, for always being at my side.
Saint Bonaventure, please pray for me.

No comments: