Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Mercy

Now Pharaoh’s daughter went down to bathe in the river, and the girls attending her were walking along by the riverside. Among the reeds she noticed the basket, and she sent her maid to fetch it. She opened it and looked, and saw a baby boy, crying; and she was sorry for him.Ex.2:5,6

While Pharaoh is slaughtering all Hebrew baby boys Moses is hidden in a basket in the reeds of the Nile. Pharaoh's daughter discovers the baby and is moved by pity to rescue and raise him.

While Pharaoh is bent on destroying the Hebrew race his own daughter is instrumental in ensuring that God's plan of salvation succeeds. The pivotal point where a decision either way could alter mankind's destiny is when Pharaoh's daughter opens the basket lid. At that moment pity and mercy change the course of history.

Mercy is often seen as weakness. This is never true. It takes courage to be merciful, to withhold judgement. It is one of the great virtues of Christian life and where it is exercised it reveals great strength of character.  It is the mercy of God that gives me hope every time I enter the confessional, gives me hope when I face final judgement.

Mercy reveals the face of God and can be exercised by anyone, great or small. Mercy can be exercised by me today.

Lord Jesus, let your mercy triumph over judgement. Help me be an agent of mercy today as you have been merciful to me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: