Monday, July 29, 2019

Death, Where is Your Sting

‘I am the resurrection and the life. If anyone believes in me, even though he dies he will live, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?’ ‘Yes, Lord,’ she said ‘I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who was to come into this world.’ 
Jn.11:25-27

Feast of Saint Martha 

Jesus arrives at the tomb of Lazarus and is met by Martha who remonstrates that had he not tarried Lazarus would be alive. Jesus answers with a clear revelation of who he is and challenges Martha to state her belief in him. Martha gives the right answer and in that atmosphere of pure faith Jesus performs his great miracle of raising Lazarus from the dead.

Martha is coxed by Jesus to give her magnificent statement of faith... "you are the Christ, the Son of God". It seems Jesus uses her faith to fuel the miracle of raising Lazarus from the dead. Here he reveals that even death, the big bogey for all of us, is conquered by his love.

My mother, on her deathbed, accepted Jesus as the resurrection and the life after a lifetime of atheism. I saw the transforming peace this gave her, even commented on by my non-believing sister.

My proclamation of faith in Jesus means death has lost its sting and the door is opened for life, peace and joy to flood in.

Jesus, I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who was to come into this world.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: