Saturday, July 27, 2019

Wheat Among the Weeds

Let them both grow till the harvest; and at harvest time I shall say to the reapers: First collect the darnel and tie it in bundles to be burnt, then gather the wheat into my barn. 
Mt.13:30

Jesus tells the parable of the wheat among the weeds to explain the Kingdom of Heaven.

This another time where Jesus tells the unpopular truth that not everyone is going to heaven. Some come into the the Father's house while others are gathered and burnt. Sorry, there it is. According to Jesus, Hell exists and it's unpleasantly hot.

This puts a sharper focus on evangelisation, especially on ensuring my family are wheat and not weeds. It's not just a nice thing to do. It's a matter of eternal life or death.

And then there's the matter of my own salvation. What assurances do I have there? Only the assurances of Jesus. "Come to me... I am the way".

Yes, weeds exist. They are life-choking. Wheat is life-giving. Today I am to be the seed on fertile ground, the wheat among the weeds to nourish those around me.

Jesus, sometimes the weeds, the cares and worries of the world, choke me. I flick those cares off my shoulders and lift my face up to you. I want to be life-giving in you today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: