Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Family of God

‘Here are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven, he is my brother and sister and mother.’
Mt.12:50

The crowd listening to Jesus is so large his anxious family can't reach him. Jesus uses the situation to explain that all who do the will of God are family to him.

This elevates the relationship with God that we are invited into. Jesus says we aren't just servants, we're not simply followers, we are family. Families live together, eat together, laugh, cry, squabble together. We are real with each other. Mostly, we love each other.

Our essential humanness, our strengths and failings, are revealed in our families. Families are messy but Jesus is saying that is OK. Why? Because the glue that holds our families together, holds my family together, is love. Today, when I love my family, I am doing the will of God the Father in heaven, I am part of the family of God.

Lord Jesus, your family thought you were crazy, misunderstood you. Family can be hard. Yet my family are my first church, the very ones I am to love first. Help me do God's will and be a father, brother, husband today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.




No comments: