Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Upside-down Law

When he was in the house he asked them, ‘What were you arguing about on the road?’ They said nothing because they had been arguing which of them was the greatest. So he sat down, called the Twelve to him and said, ‘If anyone wants to be first, he must make himself last of all and servant of all.’    Mk.9:33-35

Jesus notices the disciples arguing while on the road and he confronts them. They are embarrassed because they had been arguing about who was the greatest among them . Jesus explains to them the new upside-down law of the kingdom of God. The least is the greatest. Humility is exalted.

This strikes to the core of the world's values which says if I am rich, beautiful and brainy, only then am I successful. The celebrity craze of Hollywood Oscars just finished is a prime example. Jesus says the servant, the humble, the faithful unnoticed are the ones who will be lifted up.

There's a carnal craving in me to be noticed. I nail that to the Cross and fall in behind Jesus. Today's Gospel acclamation points the way;
My only glory is the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, which crucifies the world to me and me to the world.  Gal.6:14
Lord Jesus, you know I would be in the thick of the disciples as they argued about who is the greatest. Help me Lord have a servant's heart and be great in your sight.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: