Thursday, February 21, 2019

Get Behind Me Satan!

He rebuked Peter and said to him, ‘Get behind me, Satan! Because the way you think is not God’s way but man’s.’ Mk.8:33

Peter tries to persuade Jesus not to follow his passion and death. Jesus recognises the voice of the Devil in Peter's words and rebukes him.

I guess you could say Peter shouldn't take offense at Jesus' words. They were addressed to Satan, not him. What would have been offensive to Peter is that Satan could use even him to try and foil the plans of God.

There is a lesson in this. Satan will use anything and anyone to stop people reaching the Kingdom of God. Satan will use me. What is the antidote? Prayer, praise, Holy Scripture, engaging in the life of the Church... everything that constitutes a pious life. Starting my day in prayer is a good start.

Jesus, give me humility to acknowledge there are times I speak the words of Satan and not your words. In your name I rebuke him and ask the Holy Spirit to guide my tongue.
Little Flower , please pray for me.

No comments: