Wednesday, February 13, 2019

A Pure Heart

‘It is what comes out of a man that makes him unclean. For it is from within, from men’s hearts, that evil intentions emerge: fornication, theft, murder, adultery, avarice, malice, deceit, indecency, envy, slander, pride, folly. All these evil things come from within and make a man unclean.’   Mk.7:20-23

Jesus has just rebuked the Pharisees for their hypocritical laws. He then explains it is not outward actions but interior thoughts that lead to defilement of a person.

It's a matter of the heart. Jesus knew heart surgery was required to bring about repentance and true piety in a man. Evil has its root in the heart before manifesting in actions.

Every sinful action I do has its source in evil thoughts. Lust, avarice, and pride are the "evil intentions" that leap from Jesus' list for me. I'm in need of heart surgery. The operating theatre of the confessional calls.

Lord Jesus, you know my hidden thoughts. I lay my heart open to you. Create in me a pure heart, renew a right spirit within me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: