Tuesday, November 6, 2018

The Right Mix

When the time for the banquet came, he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, “Come along: everything is ready now.” But all alike started to make excuses.
Lk.14:17,18

Jesus is telling the parable of the Great Banquet as an allegory to the feast at the end of time in the Kingdom of God. In the parable, those originally invited are no longer worthy to attend.

The Church is nearing the end of its calendar year and it's view is becoming more eschatological. End of time is more the focal point of the daily readings. In today's Gospel Jesus highlights the danger of becoming too worldly. The "excuses" of life can become so great that they can exclude me from what is meant to be my final destiny, sitting at the heavenly banquet.

I'm in the world but not of it. There are worldly things I need to engage in to provide for my family but they're not the main focus of my life. The antidote is having the right mix. This morning prayer time is adding the right perspective to my life today. Attending Mass would add more of the right flavour as well. Let's schedule that in today...

Lord Jesus, I am easily seduced by the world and its demands. I want more of you in the mix of my life.
Saint Thomas Moore, please pray for me.

No comments: