Thursday, November 8, 2018

Search Party

The tax collectors and the sinners were all seeking the company of Jesus to hear what he had to say, and the Pharisees and the scribes complained. ‘This man’ they said ‘welcomes sinners and eats with them.’
Lk.15:1,2

Jesus welcomes sinners into his company, gaining disapproval from the Pharisees. Jesus defends his actions by telling the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin.

This Gospel is always good news for me. I would have been one that the Pharisees would have rejected. Here Jesus is reminding me he would never reject me, that in fact he has set out in search of me. I'm the lost sheep draped across Jesus shoulders as he takes me back home. Oh wonderful fault that has me placed in such a glorious position.

This also challenges my response to sinners. There's an inner conversion that takes place in a person who is genuinely accepted where they are at. The change can only rise from within, not forced from outside. "Love the person not the sin" may sound like a platitude but it is a truth nonetheless. Who can I love today.

Lord Jesus, thank you for rescuing me. Help me be part of the search party for other lost sheep. Help me find them, accept them and rejoice as they come home.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: