Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Take the Hand

The angels urged Lot, ‘Come, take your wife and these two daughters of yours, or you will be overwhelmed in the punishment of the town.’ And as he hesitated, the men took him by the hand, and his wife and his two daughters, because of the pity the Lord felt for him. They led him out and left him outside the town.
Gen.19:15,16

Abraham has just interceded with God to spare Sodom.  The "one good man" turns out to be Lot and God spares him because of His pity raised by Abraham's intercession.

There are two powerful lessons in this reading for me.  Firstly, intercession can move God to pity.  My prayer is never wasted.  Sometimes I may never know who has benefited from my intercessory prayer. Secondly, even though I may "hesitate" in my sin, God will still take my hand and lead me out to safety.  Sodom and its pleasures must have been hard to leave, even for a righteous man like Lot.  But the lord had him led by the hand out of its impending destruction.  What a reassurance for me as I struggle with leaving what I know can destroy me.  Not only that, but maybe there are some who the Lord would have me take by the hand and lead out to safety.

Father in heaven, thank you for the assurance of Your pity and mercy. Show me those who I should intercede for, those who I should take by the hand.  And Lord, help me be humble enough to take the hand offered to me when I need it.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: